Monday, November 3, 2014

Crazy for Costco

A few months ago, Living Social ran a deal for a Costco membership. I was hesitant at first because I had never been in a Costco, but figured it was worth a try for the price. I am beyond happy about this purchase!

I would say we eat about 90% organic at our house. Of course, I wish it was 100%, but some stuff we just can't afford and I am very selective in our non-organic purchases. The majority of our shopping is done at Kroger, while Whole Foods come in a close second. Target and Meijer are also on that list, especially when they are having a great sale. But now, a good amount of the stuff I used to get at the other stores, I can get at Costco for much a cheaper price.

I am very surprised and impressed by the organic selection at Costco...from fruits to meats to lip gloss to eggs. And they sell Carter's pajamas! Throw in the free samples (3 out of 4 today were organic) and Costco is like a little heaven on earth.

On our first trip, we got a few things on special...16oz bags of Pirate's Booty ($3.89 each) and a 24 pack of GoGo Squeeze ($7.99). That is way cheaper than what you are paying at any grocery store. The organic items I picked up were 5lbs frozen green beans ($6.69), 8 frozen burritos ($9.89), 24 pack of string cheese ($9.99), 4lbs raisins ($8.49), and a block of sharp cheddar ($5.99/lb). The non-organic items were 2 1/2lbs Almonds ($13.45) and 20oz dried cherries ($7.99)


I was impressed with the selection after our first trip.

The greeter drew us a picture of Alessia. I'm pretty sure she looks like a dog.

The main reason I made the trip to Costco today was that we were out of eggs and string cheese. I ended up picking up a few extra things, but some of those things were on special so that is how I justified it. The things on special were 12 bottles Naked Juice ($10.49) and 12 bottles San Pellegrino sparkling water ($11.29). Also, Carter's fleece pajamas were on special for $5.99 and I actually just bought a pair the other day from JcPenney for $9.99 (and I thought that was a good deal). I was really surprised to see Ezekiel Bread today and since it is the only bread we eat, I picked up a two loaf pack for $6.89...I usually pay $4.19 for one loaf at Kroger (which is the cheapest place). The organic eggs (2 dozen for $6.49) and no-nitrate bacon ($12.99 for 3 12oz packages) are staples in our house and will last us a few weeks. As for the 2 pack of organic salsa ($7.69) and 5 pack of certified organic lip gloss ($10.99), they were impulse purchases, but I don't regret them. String cheese, sharp cheddar, GoGo squeezes, and cherries also made their way into my cart.

Today's trip was even better than the first! 
 I'm already looking forward to my next trip and for next month's specials.


No comments:

Post a Comment