Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Italy vs. USA

It seems like everyday I find another difference between Italy and the US. I don't go looking for them; I usually just stumble upon them. This past Saturday, Kevin and I were walking around the town center and stopped in Kevin's favorite butcher. We weren't buying anything; we were just looking around, checking out what people were buying, and eating the free samples. When we were leaving, an older woman (in her 60's) was walking out in front of us. She walked over to her bike, placed her purchase in her basket, and then hopped on. But what made this all shocking was the fact that she was wearing a dress, tights, and 3-inch heels. I can say that is something that is not a regular occurrence in the States.

Here, people always look presentable. In the States, people are slobs (me included). We wear sweatpants to the grocery store and put ball caps on over our unwashed hair. Last year in Fort Wayne, I had no problem getting up, grabbing my keys, and going grocery shopping in the same thing I wore to bed. Here, I feel like I would be stoned if I went to pick up a loaf of bread in that get-up. Tennis shoes are also nonexistent in Italy, except at the gym. People don't wear them out and about in their daily lives. If you see someone out in their ASICS, there is a good chance that they are from North America. I love that in Italy, everyone is dressed to impress.

Italy and the US also differ in their lunch breaks. Here in Italy, people leave work, go home, have a HUGE meal with their family, and then take a nap. In the States, you are lucky if you even get an hour to find something to eat, use the bathroom, and get back to work. When Kevin has a work lunch, I know he will be gone for at least two hours. It is also no big deal if you have a wine or beer with your lunch, even if you are going back to work. In the States, you would be fired if you came back from lunch with alcohol on your breath...no questions asked.

In our town of 6,000 there is not a fast food place in sight. The nearest McDonald's in located in Innsbruck. Their idea of fast food is going to the grocery store and having the deli make you a sandwich or grabbing a panini at a cafe.

Another difference is the coffee. In the States, if you are in need of a pick-me-up, you hit your local Starbucks and get a coffee the size of your head. Here, the coffee (even the bigger ones) are small. And I have yet to see a place that has take-away coffee.

You should have gotten the big one.

source

No comments:

Post a Comment