Monday, October 20, 2014

Afternoon Lesson

My friend Carol just left my house after a chat. And when I say 'my friend Carol', I really mean 'the Jehovah Witness that stops by occasionally'. And when I say 'a chat', I really mean 'a lesson'.

I knew when I heard that knock on my door today that it was most likely her. I was in the middle of doing dishes, with a load of laundry drying, and all I wanted to do was have a cup of tea and watch my DVRed episode of Guy's Grocery Games while Alessia napped. I thought about not answering and then I felt guilty.

How many times does Carol get turned away in a day? Would it really kill me to answer the door and let her give me her spiel for a few minutes? I should note that she is such a nice lady...kind of reminds me of my Grandma Mounce. So, I answered. She told me how lovely my home is, told the 'new girl, Jeanette' about how cute Alessia is, and she even took off her shoes without me asking. Who doesn't love compliments and proper etiquette?

Her and Jeanette wanted to give me a lesson and I agreed. I will admit that I only half listened because The Steve Wilkos Shows was on in the background and I really needed to see if the husband cheated. But it didn't kill me and I even learned a little something. Carol asked if she could come back and I told her 'of course'. I just can't say 'no' to sweet Carol.

Do I regret answering the door? Nope. Did her lesson make me want to be a Jehovah Witness? No. Will I read up to prepare for my next lesson? Definitely not. Will I answer the door next week when I hear that light knock? Most likely.


No comments:

Post a Comment