Monday, October 13, 2014

Purging

I find it very hard to believe that it has been ten years since I graduated college and seven years since I taught special education. Those three years of teaching were a great learning experience for me and I met some lifelong friends. But when I decided to move with Kevin and end the "long distance," I knew it meant I would have to give up teaching. I wasn't 100% sure how long I would be giving it up though...weeks, months, years. 

Since there was always that uncertainty of whether or not I would be teaching again, I held onto my stuff. For years, its home was in my parents' garage. And for the last year, it has sat in our basement collecting dust. Honestly, I had no idea what was in there. I used a few things when I was nannying, but most of it sat untouched for years.

A few weeks ago, I decided to take on the daunting task of going through it. Initially, I just wanted to see what I had kept. There were books, binders, worksheets, crayons, games, stickers...all things you would expect teachers to have. I realized some of the items could be used at the house (stapler, hole punch, tape, markers), some things Kevin would use (magnets, binders, tabs), and a majority of the items Alessia could use either now or one day. It took about a week (here and there) to go through the six bins. And after it was all said and done, I still had six bins...they were just organized a bit better.


This weekend I headed back downstairs. What was I holding onto all this for? I'm not a collector, I hate clutter, and I have always honored my motto 'if it doesn't serve me a purpose right now, then I have no need for it.' So, this morning, I purged. I now have one bin of decorations, one bin of games, and one bin of 'teacher stuff' that can be used with Alessia down the road.

The profession of teaching is changing every year. Those math and reading manuals from 2006 are out of date. The name plates that have bends in them aren't ever getting used. And I'm pretty sure no one needs documentation of my clocked minutes from seven years ago.

Growing up, I knew I wanted to be a teacher. And ten years ago, I was a teacher. Now, I don't know if I'll ever be a teacher again. My place in life might not be in the classroom. And six bins of teaching supplies have no place in my basement.

2 comments:

  1. Awww, this makes me sad. It completely makes sense because you're right, teaching is very different even from when you last taught, but it still makes me sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was bittersweet. But I love that I found a bunch of stuff I can use with Alessia and freed up some space in the basement.

    ReplyDelete