Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Another Season Down

While most leagues in the United States are still playing, the 2012-2013 hockey season has officially come to an end for us (and most of Europe).  Kevin's team, the Broncos, played really well throughout the season, finishing at the top of the standings.  Unfortunately, they lost in the Finals so the season didn't exactly end the way we would have wanted. 

Most of our North American friends here have headed home already, with the last of them leaving tomorrow.  On one hand, I am jealous; on the other hand, I'm glad we still have another month here.  I'm definitely looking forward to getting home so everyone can meet Alessia.  I also cannot wait for my breast pump, a bouncer, a swing, and a car seat that actually passes safety standards.  Of course, I am looking forward to all the amazing American food...Chipotle, hot dogs on the grill, Marzetti Ranch Dressing, and hot wings.  And I'm counting down the days until I get to go to Target. 

We are excited to get home for an amazing baby shower that my cousin, Steph, has planned for us.  She's been working on it for months and I know it is going to be the best.thing.ever!  And what's more exciting than coming home to a new niece or nephew?  Kevin's sister, Melany, and her husband, Brett, are expecting their third child right around the time we get home.  Maybe our first stop will be the hospital to meet the new little peanut.   

I'm not looking forward to the flight home.  We are going to be "those people."  The people no one wants to sit next to because they have a newborn.  The people who have a million bags.  The people who take 30 minutes to get everything together so they can walk through security.  I'm having nightmares about our travel day already. 

Our living situation is also something I dread.  Like most hockey players and couples, we live with our parents in the summer.  While we are beyond thankful that our parents allow us to do this, it sucks to lose your privacy and space.  Plus, we are throwing a baby into the mix and that is definitely going to make things ten times harder.  Kevin and I are just getting to a place where we have a routine with Alessia and are used to the way the other does things.  I don't want to mess that up.  Our living situation is also going to require us to travel back and forth.  Nine hours in a car from Pittsburgh to Springfield will be a real treat.  Kevin and I have already made the executive decision that we will be driving overnight.

The end of the season also brings the off-season...the time where we must make tough decisions about where we will be and what we will be doing next season.  For me, the off-season is the hard part.  Traveling and living somewhere new and unknown is easy for me.  Deciding where that is going to be is tricky.  And, again, this is going to be a lot harder now that we have a little person to think about.  I know Kevin and I will make the decision that we feel is best for our family, but getting to that decision is always tough.  One thing is for certain, there is never an easy answer. 


No comments:

Post a Comment