Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Eww, Gross!

When I got to Italy, I made a few goals and I've done a pretty good job of sticking to them. My driving is 100 times better. I can make it around town no problem and can even drive on the autobahn. I'm getting better with hills and inclines, but I still roll back quite a bit. I'll never understand why the drivers behind me have to get right on my ass though. For the most part, I've covered all the bases and can tackle everything except for driving in new places. I can't concentrate on driving, reading the road signs, and pay attention to the other drivers all while trying to find my way around. I'm hoping by the time we have visitors in March, I'm a pro at driving a stick and can navigate and drive at the same time.

The goal I've paid the least amount of attention to is learning German. I was really putting in a effort early on and was proud of myself. I know most of the common greetings and can count to 100. I'm also pretty good with the colors and food items (fruits/vegetables). But I still just stare at people when they ask me a question. I know I'm not going to be fluent by the end of May, but I still want to be able to order food correctly and ask where something is located. I'm going to get back to my old ways and start doing a lesson everyday. What else do I have to do?

Well, on to the working out goal. I've been going to the gym at least four times a week. When I started going, I could only run for ten minutes and after I was finished, I felt like I was going to have a heart attack. Now I've worked my way up to 40 minutes of running. I try to have two running days and two cross training days. On running days, I also work on my arms and chest and on cross training days, I focus on my legs and abs. We don't have a scale so I have no idea how much I weigh, but my pants are a bit baggier and I like to think I'm looking a little tighter. I always tell Kevin to feel my muscles, but he just laughs at me, but I'm telling you, I can see them.

So, why is this post called "Eww, Gross," you ask? Because this working out bit is really taking its toll on my feet. The nails on my toes (the ones next to my big ones) have really been hurting. I didn't think it was a big deal until today when I decided to take my polish off. I was in for an UGLY surprise! My toenails are black. And if that wasn't enough, one of my big toenails is cracked in half.

These are not my feet (I think they belong to a man), but they give you a pretty good idea of what mine look like.


I did a little research this morning and apparently, this is a common problem with runners. When you run, your feet swell up to a whole size bigger causing your toenails to push against the front of your shoe. Your toenails then become bruised and blistered underneath and eventually, your toenails will fall off. What? I know they say "beauty is pain," but no one ever said anything about losing my toenails. The obvious solution...buy your running shoes a size bigger.

I've decided to take the day off today to give my poor toenails a rest, but I'll be back at it tomorrow and I'm really hoping my toenails hold on a few more days until I can get some new, bigger shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment