Monday, January 30, 2012

The Infamous Visa

Here we are 5 months from when we started the visa process and it's still going on. At this point, it is almost a lost cause, but Kevin and I keep plugging away just to prove a point. I've talked to a lot of North American wives who have husbands on various teams in Italy and not one of them has a visa. It is virtually impossible!

Right now we are still applying for my nulla osta, which is a piece of paper that basically verifies that my husband is on a work contract in Italy and that he is responsible for me while I am here. 16 days ago we submitted Kevin's paperwork to verify his address and we were told that someone would be by in 12-14 days to check out our apartment to find out if it is suitable for two people. Let me just say that this is outrageous considering the office is within walking distance to our apartment, but what is even more annoying is that no one ever came by. We got a text message from the team's immigration guy and apparently the office will okay the apartment paperwork if we can get a copy of our landlord's (the hotel owner's) ID card. So basically they wasted 16 days of our time that we could have spent moving on in our visa process.

The fact that the Italian visa process is ridiculous or that the people that work in these offices seem bothered that you ask them to actually work really pisses me off. But something that also bothers me is that when you go into one of these bigger towns, there are slews of African men selling fake Prada purses on the side of the road. Last weekend, I went with some friends to Bolzano and I can honestly say we probably saw 50 vendors (in a rather small area) trying to sell us a wide assortment of things. There is no way in hell that these guys are legal, working men. But if they are, what does that say about the Italian visa process? Women whose husbands are legally working in Italy have no right to a visa. Yet, African men selling fake purses in the streets and harassing people to buy them can stay as long as they like.

source


Don't get me wrong, I get it that these men have to work. But seriously, who is going to buy a Prada purse from a guy who is also selling studded belts, stuffed monkeys, and lighters? No thank you, but I will buy your visa off of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment