Thursday, February 2, 2012

All My Friends!

After a week of company and only one trip to the gym in 9 days, I've been trying to get back into my routine of working out this past week. I actually really missed my trips to the gym and seeing all my friends there. Okay...so I've never talked to anyone there and I have no idea what their names are, but I refer to them as friends and have come up with nicknames for most of the regulars I see.

First off, there is my best friend; I usually see him at least once a week. He speaks Italian, but always gives me a smile whenever he comes, goes, or walks past me and this is a big deal because people here aren't very friendly. I also like that he doesn't smell like body odor or wear spandex. Then we have Ab-man. He is a 50-something year old man with a sweet moustache, a gold hoop earring, and abs of steel. He likes to look at them in the mirror at least 10 times a workout and I have to admit they are impressive abs for an older gentleman. My least favorite person is Wife Beater and I don't call him that because of the tank tops he wears. Him and his gf/wife actually got into an argument one day at the gym and he grabbed her by the hair. She likes to comes watch him workout...weird. I just want to tell him what a douche he is with his spandex shorts and homemade tank tops, but I'm pretty sure we don't speak the same language. There is also Grandma, Smokey, the Three Amigos, Disney, and Austin.

I'm waiting for the day when someone tries to talks to me and I can't answer in "ja", "nein", or by using hand motions. But I've been practicing "Ich spreche kein Deutsch" (I do not speak German) and "Non parlo Italiano" (I do not speak Italian) so hopefully I can at least get one of those phrases out. For now, I'll just stick with "hallo" and "ciao" when seeing my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment