Friday, January 6, 2012

What Holiday?

Kevin has been super busy lately with hockey games, practices, and tournaments. He's been at the rink for at least 12 hours every day this week so today we were excited to have a morning/afternoon to hang out. Since there was a game last night (and they won), we decided we'd start our day by sleeping in, do a little grocery shopping (because we have no food), make a big breakfast, and then grab a coffee or something before he had to be at the rink.

Well apparently today is a holiday...and nothing is open. So I started thinking to myself, what holiday is on January 6? I came up blank until I remembered the other wife telling me that the Christmas Market here closes on the Epiphany, which is celebrated on January 6 here in Italy.

I was born and raised Catholic and like to think I have a pretty good grasp on the Catholic religion and its teaching so I feel horrible not knowing what the Epiphany is and when it is celebrated. When we got home from driving around doing nothing, I decided I'd Google 'Epiphany.' For those of you, like me, who have no idea what the Epiphany is, let me help you out. The Epiphany celebrates God's revealing or manifesting of Jesus' identity as true God, Messiah, and Savior of the world. It not only commemorates the fact that Jesus appeared to save us, but that God revealed the identity of Jesus to the world.

From what I've read, the Epiphany ranks right up there with Christmas and Easter. The more I find out, the more I feel like we should have some type of special meal/feast to celebrate today. But since the grocery stores are closed, we will have to settle for macaroni and cheese and sandwiches. Our feast will have to wait until next year.

2013 Feast for the Epiphany.

No comments:

Post a Comment