Thursday, January 12, 2012

To Ski or Not to Ski!

Kevin and I went and got fitted for our ski equipment the other day and I still haven't figured out if I'm more scared or excited. I'm actually losing sleep at night thinking about it. Why? Because I'm a 29-year-old woman who has never been skiing in her life. Hell, it took me 5 minutes to figure out how to get the boots on during the fitting. Kevin still can't get over the fact that I've never been and so far, everyone I've told looks at me like I'm crazy.

I was born and raised in central Illinois where you can see ten miles down the road in every direction. We get snow, but very little and very sporadically. In any given December, it will be 60°F one day and then 20°F the next. In Springfield, you'll even have a hard time finding a hill to go sledding on.

In addition to not having the environment or landscape for skiing, I didn't have time as a kid to go. As a gymnast for 14 years, my weekends were spent at meets with my mom and my dad was either with us or at work. Our family vacations were usually spent in a city where I had a meet (my poor brother and sister) and we never went on vacations in the winter. So, when and where exactly was I supposed to fit in some ski trips?

Kevin definitely has more faith in my athletic ability than I do because he thinks I will catch right on and be a 'skier' by the end of the year (yeah right). I, on the other hand, am not so optimistic. I'm pretty sure I'm going to face plant in the snow on more than one occasion. My only goal is to get off the slopes without a broken bone.

This will be me in a few days.


Kevin has suggested I YouTube some skiing videos to help me learn the basics. But I bet you can guess what I won't be doing. Instead, I've opted to go to Ski School for 2 hours with the kids. I don't care that I'll be the oldest person there or that someone is probably going to have to help me get dressed. If it will help me avoid an ambulance, sign me up.

2 comments:

  1. Trish, WARNING.... my 1st and only time I went snow skiing (at age 29) I got pregnant with twins! Just saying......... Best of luck, Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. We don't need any of that happening!

    ReplyDelete