Sunday, April 1, 2012

Pinterest Recipes Reviewed- Round 3

I've been busy in the kitchen again trying out new Pinterest recipes. Check out what I've been whipping up in the Reiter household.

Recipe 1: Cheesy Enchilada Casserole

I threw this amazing dish together at the last minute. I hadn't planned on anything for dinner because Kevin wasn't supposed to be home and then there was a change of plans. I had everything I needed on hand with a few exceptions. I didn't have a can of beans to add, but even if I did, I probably wouldn't have added them since Kevin isn't a big fan. In place of the Mexican cheese blend, I used both cheddar and mozzarella. I omitted the cumin and the cilantro...cilantro does not exist in Italy. Anyways, the Cheesy Enchilada Casserole was delicious and easy to make. I will definitely make it again!


Recipe 2: Caprese Grilled Cheese

Kevin thinks a meal isn't complete unless there is meat. With Lent, he has had to give up his precious meat for one day a week, but I have to say, he has done an amazing job with it. I honestly never thought he would have lasted this long.

I've been trying to shake things up with meals, especially lunches and dinners so he doesn't get bored. I found this recipe on Pinterest a few months ago and thought Lent was the perfect time to try it. I made it according to the recipe minus the garlic, which I didn't really see a point in including. The sandwich was great and even my carnivorous husband enjoyed it.


Recipe 3: Chicken and Dumplings

I've only ever had my mom's chicken and dumplings and I love those. I was really hoping mine came close to her's, but I think they were actually better. I was really craving chicken and dumplings and I looked for days for a recipe that would be easy and flavorful and came across this one and was not disappointed.

For the recipe, it calls for homemade chicken broth, but I used store bought and I also used 3 large chicken breasts (I cooked them right before) in place of a whole chicken. I left out the potatoes in order to cut down on the carbs and instead, just added more celery and carrots. As for the spices, I couldn't find fresh thyme so I used dried and I also left out the tarragon in the dumplings. I honestly have to say that I was shocked at how good my chicken and dumplings turned out. I was really expecting to mess up something, but I aced it.

No comments:

Post a Comment