Wednesday, April 25, 2012

They Did It To Me Again

Kevin left early Saturday morning for Asiago and I have not left the house since.  Okay, so I left the house to go to the gym, but I haven't stepped foot outside the apartment complex.  I really haven't had a reason to though.  While I would have loved to go into town to get a coffee and people watch, the weather has been miserable.  It has honestly rained or snowed since we pulled in the drive from Munich on Friday night.  I've been keeping busy though.  I've cleaned the apartment, started packing, uploaded some pictures, and have been catching up on the shows on my DVR.  I have also been hitting the gym everyday trying to make up for the past 6 weeks.   

I woke up this morning to our landlord ringing our doorbell at 8:30 AM.  I know most people are up at this hour and sometimes I am, but today I wasn't.  I didn't get to bed last night until almost 3:00 AM so I was really hoping to sleep until about 10:00 AM.  When Kevin is gone, I just can't sleep.  It's not that I'm scared or anything.  I just don't like to sleep alone and it takes me hours to fall asleep even when I'm exhausted.    

Well, since I was up and the rain had finally stopped, I decided I would head into town to pick up some groceries, mail some postcards, and have a coffee.  After I parked, I tried to pay the meter and it wouldn't take my money...clue #1.  Once I got into town, I noticed it was super busy...clue #2.  As I made my way through town, I realized a lot of the stores were closed...clue #3.  And then it hit me, today must be some type of holiday.  So, of course, once I made it to the post office, it was closed.  The same was true for the grocery store.  But I still don't know what holiday is on April 25!

I decided to Google it when I got home and found out that today is Liberation Day.  On April 25, 1945 Italy was liberated by Allied troops.  These days, April 25 is a day where Italians honor their fallen soldiers and it is celebrated by holding parades, rallies, and concerts.

For me, April 25 will be just another day in the apartment.  Maybe there will be a Jersey Shore marathon on or something.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment