Thursday, October 18, 2012

Rumour Has It!

Or I guess it's not a rumour if it's actually true.  Kevin and I are expecting...which most people know.  But in case you didn't, I'm telling you here.

Even when it's half-way planned (and I say half-way because we didn't expect it to happen so quickly), it's still a shock.  Since Kevin was in Pittsburgh at the time, I had to take the test by myself and nothing wakes you up at 7 in the morning quite like seeing two pink lines on a pee stick.  Doing the logical thing, I called Kevin to share the news and turns out he couldn't talk since he was out fishing with his brother.  I think his exact words were "I can't talk about this right now.  I'm fishing with Kenny.  Go back to bed and we'll talk about it later."  OK...no problem.  I'll just process all this by myself. 

After much processing and talking, we started coming up with a plan.  Kevin had already signed in Italy for the year so we had to wrap our head around the fact that our baby would be welcomed to the world by a German speaking Italian midwife.  And I had to wrap my head about the fact that I would most likely be having a natural labor and that if the baby is a boy, there will be no circumcision.

Still, with everything being well out of the norm for most people going through pregnancy, we are so excited.  Of course, we are nervous at the same time, but that is perfectly normal.  We have brought over all the baby essential we'll need that can't be purchased here and then my parents will bring over the rest when they come over in March.  I've had amazing support from fellow hockey wives who have given birth overseas and honestly think I might have had a nervous breakdown if it weren't for them.

Our parents have been wonderful.  My mom and dad will be first time grandparents and I'm pretty sure the news of Kevin and I expecting has made their year.  Since Kevin had to leave for Italy in early August, my mom had to act as my "replacement husband."  She did the shopping with me, went to my doctor's appointment, and dined on pickle dip and Snicker Ice Cream bars with me late at night.  Poor mom even put on my pregnancy weight. 

I was lucky enough to be able to make it to Pittsburgh before I left for Italy to spend some time with Kevin's parents too.  They were kind enough to get us our stroller and car seat so that when we get home with the baby, the car seat will be ready and waiting at the airport.  And Kevin's parents will also be housing the three of us for a short while as soon as we head back to the States.

Tomorrow is my first doctor's appointment at the Krankenhaus (hospital) so that should be interesting.  Stay tuned to see how it all goes.  




No comments:

Post a Comment