Thursday, January 24, 2013

Making Memories

For the last week, Kevin and I have been busy playing host and tour guide for my Aunt Ruth.  When she expressed her desire to come over, I was super excited and when she finally booked her ticket, I started planning immediately.  I love visitors!  I love playing host!  I love traveling!

This was Ruth's first trip overseas and I wanted to make sure she saw as many places as possible during her time here.  We started with Innsbruck.  Ruth and I were on our own for this one so it gave me a chance to show her my manual driving skills.  The drive went well, but the weather wasn't the greatest.  The skies were overcast so you couldn't see the mountains and it was pretty chilly.  For the most part, we just walked around Old Town and down by the river.  We only stayed a few hours before making our way back to Vipiteno to catch the Broncos hockey game...and they won! 

Ruth by the Inn River.
Our next stop was Venice.  Kevin was able to come with us for the day so he drove (best husband ever).  We introduced Ruth to our favorite take away pizza place, the local drinks, and gelato.  Ruth also did some serious shopping here!  Kevin had to head home that night, but Ruth and I stayed.  We were pretty tired so we just ate dinner and were in bed by 8:30...not asleep until 10:00 though.

Ruth was sick of pizza by the time she left.  Kevin and I can still eat it everyday.
Impromptu photo shoot by a crazy man at the Rialto Bridge. 
Baby Reiter's first trip to Venice.
We woke up the next morning to rain so we decided to head to Verona to see what the weather was like there.  There was rain, but it was warm so we decided to stay a few hours.  We caught up with Juliet at her casa, bought Baby Reiter the cutest outfit at Zara, and stuffed ourselves with pasta before boarding the train back to Vipiteno.

The rain wouldn't ruin our fun.

Ruth refused to rub Juliet's boob for good luck.
Our day in Vipiteno was a lazy one.  We had some serious snow here so we popped on our snow boots and headed to town so I could show Ruth around.  We had coffee, Ruth got to try a Krapfen, and we took her for pizza (again).  Kevin had to work that afternoon/night so Ruth and I bummed around and watched the inauguration.  She also got all packed up.

The next morning, all of us headed to Dachau to check out the Concentration Camp Memorial Site.  After a few hours there, we drove to Munich, checked into our hotel, and then made our way to the sights.  We hung out in the Marienplatz, had beers at Paulaner Beer Hall (I had coffee), bought treats at the Viktualienmarkt, and ate dinner at the Hofbräuhaus.

Ruth and I in the Marienplatz.
Kevin and I warming up at Paulaner Beer Hall.
When in Munich, eat a big pretzel. 
Our beers didn't stand a chance.  PLEASE NOTE: My beer was non-alcoholic. 
We dropped Ruth off at the airport yesterday and I can report that she made it home safely despite some delays and lost luggage.  Kevin and I are back to our normalcy.  That means he works and I play the role of pregnant house wife.

Our next BIG trip will be to the hospital so we better start packing for that! 

No comments:

Post a Comment