Thursday, February 7, 2013

Horse, and Rabbit, and Fish...Oh My!

Lately, there has been a lot of press about horse meat.  In the UK, it was discovered that some grocery store chains' frozen hamburgers had horse meat in them.  Burger King also became a player in the horse meat scandal.  In Italy, the only paper I've seen horse meat in this week is in our grocery store ad.
 Sorry, but nowhere does it say 100% beef (source)  

Horse stew is on sale this week!

I understand why people in the UK are upset about the horse meat in their burgers.  They wanted beef and they got a little more than they bargained for.  At the same time, I will say that it isn't the most disgusting thing that could be in your burgers.  Horse is edible.  Here, in Italy, it is a common meat and the same is true for many other countries.  I tried it last year in lunch meat form.  It tastes like beef.  Would I order horse at a restaurant?  No.  But I wouldn't order beef either.

Even babies in Italy like horse meat.  When Kevin and I were shopping the other day, we took a stroll down the baby food aisle to see what the choices were.  Well, horse is one.  And if horse isn't to your baby's liking, you can go with sheep, fish, cheese, or rabbit baby food.

I wonder if anyone in Italy would be mad if they found out this had beef in it?
That baby looks like he loves rabbit.  Who am I to judge? 
Mix these two together and you have yourself a well-rounded meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment