Thursday, February 14, 2013

Packed And Almost Ready to Go

I'm not sure why I've been putting this obviously important task off, but today, I finally packed our hospital bag.  I made a list of things I would need or wanted over a month ago and we've had everything for the bag for well over a week.  

I've read everywhere that people always over-pack their hospital bags and I'm sure I did too.  For me, I might need more than the average person though.  At our hospital, they suggest first-time mothers stay at the hospital for five nights with a vaginal birth and seven nights with a c-section.  In the States, you pop out a baby and leave the next day.  I do have the option to leave whenever I feel up to it so when I feel good, I am out of there.  

After much research on the internet and talking to friends, I decided on the following things for the bag...

  • passport, insurance book, insurance card, passport
  • robe, slippers
  • yoga pants, t-shirt, nursing tanks, nursing bras, socks, ugly underwear, breast pads
  • going home outfit for Mom
  • outfit for Baby Reiter (for pictures)
  • going home outfit for Baby Reiter (hat, mittens, socks, coat)
  • mittens and hats for Baby Reiter
  • baby blanket
  • book
  • Flip and camera
  • Boppy Pillow
  • snacks
  • feminine products (pads, wipes)
  • toiletries (toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, face wash, hair brush, hair ties)
  • makeup 
  • contact solution, contacts, glasses, eye drops
  • cell phone
Almost everything is packed.  For things I need up until our trip to the hospital, I have a list made.  Those last-minute things can just be thrown in the bag before we walk out the door. 

Of course, I packed everything in one of Kevin's hockey bags.

I recently wrote that maybe I'm not one of those women who love being pregnant, but when I really think about it, I do.  Yes, it was a hard transition for me.  Gaining weight, not being able to keep up with my normal routine, and having no control over what was going on with my body was/is hard for me.  But carrying this baby the last nine months and feeling it move has been the most amazing experience. 

I think, subconsciously, I avoided packing the bag because it signifies the end of this chapter of our lives...the First Pregnancy chapter.  At this time last year, we were only just discussing the idea of starting a family.  And now, we are a month away from bringing home our first child.  

4 comments:

  1. You put it perfectly. Through the ups and downs, it is the most amazing experience. I teared up at the end of your blog, so true. I can't wait to have my first blood niece or nephew. Love you guys!!-Aunt Mel

    ReplyDelete
  2. My crazy planner))) love you,
    Marina

    Tricia, it's one month to go!!!!! Yay!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never packed my bags like that, but it’s definitely a good thing that you prepared it in advance. I’ve seen in the movies how stressful couples can be during those times. Anyway, in packing, it’s always great to make a list of the things to bring. This is really helpful to lessen the stress of packing. By the way, congratulations to your new angel! :-)

    Clay Delgado

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing such great memories! I too share my experiences with anyone who will listen.


    Ice Hockey Equipment & Ice Hockey Bag


    ReplyDelete