Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Don't cry over spilled milk (or cereal)


I woke up this dreary Tuesday morning, poured myself a bowl of cereal, and then spilled it all over the floor. Usually, something like this wouldn't bother me too much; I'd clean in up and start all over again. But considering my current 'situation', a bowl of spilled cereal sent me over the edge.

When I speak about my 'situation', I am referring to the fact that I've been in visa limbo for 71 days now. My paperwork is sitting in Rome waiting to be approved, but no one can give me an idea of when it will be reviewed. I've been told not to pester or try to hassle them because then they'll just take longer (like that is even possible). And on top of that, it seems like Italy has at least one holiday a week. How can anything get done if the office is hardly ever open?

So, as I was cleaning up the mess I had made, I came to the conclusion that living in my parents' spare bedroom, out of a suitcase, was no longer an option. I repacked my bag for the last time and have been looking for flights all day. If my paperwork goes through before I leave, then perfect. If not, maybe I can fly home once it does get approved and get my visa. But one thing is for certain...I am not going to sit here for another 71 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment