Thursday, December 22, 2011

Christmas in Venice

After much debating, we have made a last-minute decision to spend Christmas in Venice. We are only able to stay one night since the boys practice on the 23rd and 25th (at night), but we are super excited. Our plan is to leave Vipiteno early on the 24th and drive to Venice. We can park our car outside the city and then take a train and water bus to our hotel. Our plan once we get there is to have no plan, which is hard for someone like me who likes to know what I'm doing and where I'm going at all times. The only reason we are doing this is because we have already been there and have seen the sites. Plus, we are sure lots of places will be closed for the holidays so we might just end up walking around for hours. The only thing we are definitely doing is midnight mass at St. Mark's Basilica. I cannot wait for it, although I've read that you have to get there about 2 hours early for a seat. I'll have to make sure I pack some treats for the wait!

We're a little nervous in regards to transportation because we haven't been able to find much information about whether or not public transportation will be running Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. We emailed the water bus company and they told us what line to take, but didn't answer our question about their holiday schedule. It looks like we'll have to play it by ear. Fingers crossed that we don't have to spend a fortune to take a water taxi. I guess if all else fails, we'll just have to stay in Venice an extra night.

No comments:

Post a Comment