Wednesday, December 14, 2011

The Sights at the Gym

Lately, I've been doing really well with getting to the gym at least four days a week. Most of the time, I really look forward to going, but not because I love the way I feel after a good workout or because I'm doing something productive. Instead, I love to people watch at the gym. Back home it is never this fun, but the gym here never disappoints.

The gym (located under our apartment) is pretty small. It has 3 treadmills, 3 bikes, and 1 elliptical. Plus, there are free weights and weight machines. There are also two large mirrors located by the free weights and the weight machines. No matter where you are, you can see everyone else in the gym. And this, I love!

In general, Europeans work out in the most random clothes ever. When we lived in England, I was baffled that people would work out in Keds or lift weights in jeans. Here in Italy, guys LOVE spandex and short shorts. And it seems as though women have never heard of sports bras. I know they have them here!

Last week, Kevin was at the rink and I headed down since it usually isn't busy in the afternoon. When I walked in, there was a younger couple. The guy had on his spandex and the girl had a full windbreaker warm up on. The whole time she was riding the bike, I kept wondering how hot she must be. Well, they left soon after I arrived...maybe they were tired of me staring at them. But I got a new Italian friend to watch so I didn't care. At first glance, he looked completely normal until he took off his jeans and sweater and revealed his unitard (with a t-shirt under it). But the head sweatband really made the outfit.

Not even Rob Pattinson would look good in one of these.


When Kevin got home, I couldn't wait to tell him. He didn't believe me though. He said I was a liar and there was no way someone would wear that to the gym. But today, Kevin had to eat his words when my Italian friend, complete with his unitard and head sweatband, showed up to the gym while we were there.

No comments:

Post a Comment