Monday, December 5, 2011

Krampusumzug: The South Tyrolean Way

Kevin and I were super-excited to check out Krampusumzug ('Krampus' for short). And then we started hearing a little more about how it all worked and our excitement quickly turned to fear. We talked to some of the guys on the team who are from the area and they gave us two tips. Dress in old clothes and don't stand near the front of the group.

First off, I only bring one bag of clothes with me when I come over to Europe. I'm not going to waste precious space on old clothes. Secondly, why would I stand near the back of the group. How is a girl supposed to get good pictures of the Krampus standing in the back? In talking to the guys, I quickly realized why they gave us the two tip.

In Vipiteno, there are 25 Krampus who run down the walking street with their faces covered in black paint. From what I was told, the paint is practically impossible to get off. If they touch you, it is getting all over you whether you like it or not. Some also throw ashes into the crowds. Then, the Krampus use bundles of twigs to hit you with. If you are in town for Krampus, you are fair game.

Since we wanted to experience Krampus, but didn't want to ruin any of our clothes or get whipped, we went into town before the actual event started. We still got to see the Krampus (as they were whipping people) and came home nice and clean.

Kevin and Markus (one of the local guys on the team) with a Krampus whip.


The little girl in the yellow was not a fan of the miniature Krampus.


I absolutely love the facial expression of the guy in blue.


The Krampus


I'm pretty sure I would not be having the Krampus take pictures with my babies.

No comments:

Post a Comment