Thursday, December 1, 2011

Hello December!

When I woke up this morning, I had so many things to look forward to. For starters, it is the first day for my Advent Calendar. I had never heard of them until we went over to England and they were everywhere, in all sorts of shapes and flavors. Now I HAVE to have one every year! Kevin told me, he would just buy me 25 candy bars, but it isn't the same. With an Advent Calendar, you have an excuse to eat candy for breakfast and I love having that little piece of candy to look forward to.


December also brings the holidays. Of course, we are sad that we won't be spending Christmas with our family. And it looks like Kevin has zero days off, but the Christmas season in Europe is so much fun. Christmas Markets take over towns. We have only been to the one in Vipiteno, but we're planning on making our rounds in the coming weeks. At these street markets, you can purchase local crafts, fill your belly with fattening treats, and stay warm with Glühwein (mulled wine). It also gives me a chance to expand my Christmas ornament collection (we get an ornament in every city we visit).


On Monday, we are going to Krampusumzug. It is a tradition that takes place every year on December 5. Men dress up as Krampus, a demon-like creature who punishes bad children. Think of Krampus as the opposite of Santa (or St. Nicholas as he's called here). Apparently, the Krampus roam the old town and Christmas Market frightening people with chains and bells. Here's an idea of what I'll be looking at Monday night.



December also brings the end of Movember so Kevin no longer has a schnauzer (moustache in German) as of right now. Yes, I was starting to get used to it, but that doesn't mean I thought it looked good. I'm happy to have my husband back to normal, at least for a few months.

No comments:

Post a Comment